Department of Aerospace Engineering
3181 Glenn Martin Hall
University of Maryland
College Park, Maryland 20742
Graduate Research Assistant,
Alfred Gessow Rotorcraft Center (AGRC)
Associated Student, Autonomous Vehicle Laboratory
Phone: (301) 405-3282 |
Bio-inspired micro robotics (design & control), biological structures, flight dynamics
(rotary & flapping), and human space flight. See Project 9.
Flight Dynamics and Control of Micro-scaled Robotic Samara (winged-seed) Rotorcraft
This dissertation details the flight dynamics and control of a prototype mono-wing rotorcraft which mimics the passive transit of the species Acer Diabolicum Blume. The asymmetric and all-rotating platform requires the development of a novel sensing and control framework. The rigid body dynamics are derived for a flight path consisting of a coordinated helical turn. The small perturbation equations of motion are used to calculate the forces necessary for flight along a trajectory recorded by a visual motion capture system. The result of this work is that the robotic samara is controllable in unpowered autorotation as well as hovering and directional flight.
- Ulrich, E., West, B, ‘Simulation of the Flight Dynamics of a Flapping UAV’, AIAA Regional Student Conference, April 2005
- Livingston, R., Ulrich, E., ‘An Experimental and Analytical Study of Drag Polar for Competing Hydrodynamic Hulls’, AIAA Regional Student Conference, April 2005
- Aiken, D., Bowden, M., ‘A Small Pressurized Rover Concept for Extended Lunar and Mars Exploration’, AIAA Space 2005-6737
- Ulrich, E., Pines, D., ‘Planform Geometric Variation, and its Effect on the Autorotation Efficiency of a Mechanical Samara,’ AHS64th Annual Forum April 29-May 1, 2008.
- Ulrich, E., Pines, D., Park, J., ‘Mechanical Samara Deployment and Passive Distribution by a Fixed Wing Unmanned Air Vehicle’, AHS International Specialist Meeting on Unmanned Rotorcraft, January 20-22, 2009
- Ulrich, E., Pines, D., Gerardi, S., ‘Autonomous Flight of a Samara MAV’ AHS65th Annual Forum, May 27-29, 2009
- Bush, B, Sargent, D., Sickenberger, R., Syal, M., Ulrich, E., Wilson, N., University of Maryland, ‘Lee, C., Sa, J., Konkuk University, ‘Volterra – The Era of Green’, AHS65th Annual Forum, May 27-29, 2009
- Ulrich, E., Humber, J. S., Pines, D., “System Identification and Control of Mechanical Samara Micro-Air-Vehicles” Submitted for review, AIAA Journal of Aircraft
- Ulrich, E., Faruque, I., Pines, D., “Control Model for Robotic Samara: Lateral Dynamics about a Coordinated Helical Turn” Abstract submitted to American Controls Conference 2010, invited session.
- Gerardi, S., Ulrich, E., Humbert, J. S., Pines, D., “Hover Stabilization of a Controllable Mechanical Samara” Submitted to American Controls Conference 2010
- Ulrich, E., Pines, D., ‘Planform Geometric Variation, and its Effect on the Autorotation Efficiency of a Mechanical Samara,’ Journal of the American Helicopter Society (in press)
Top of Page
Back to Members List
J. Sean Humbert, Ph.D.
Techno-Sciences Associate Professor of Aerospace Engineering Innovation
3182 Glenn L. Martin Hall
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
humbert (at) umd.edu